Saturday, September 6, 2008

Favorite Endings

Well call me bored, here's a "for the hell of it" post.


Here are a few of my favorite movie endings.

Unforgiven
My favorite western also has one of my favorite endings. William Munny finds that his friend Ned has been killed by Little Bill and decides to enact his grim revenge. The systematic method that Munny uses to take down 5 men in the bar outside which Ned's body has been posted as an example is brutal and fantastic. This man has spent the entire movie attempting to deny his history of alcoholism and violence (see how I avoided using the phrase history of violence! yay me!) and the murder of his closest friend has washed all that away. Between Eastwood's final interaction with Gene Hackman ("I'll see you in hell William Munny" "Yeah.") and Eastwood's warning to the town threatening to kill everyone in the town if they don't change, Unforgiven truly has one of the greatest endings.

Iron Man
Robert Downey Jr. plays a pitch perfect Tony Stark (so much so that he is better than any version I've ever read in the comics) and ends the movie on the perfect note. Instead of trying to fool everyone into thinking he's not Iron Man by saying that Iron Man is his bodyguard (S.H.I.E.L.D.'s suggestion and the cover used often in the comics), Stark just comes out and says he is Iron Man. Beautiful.

Batman Begins
Jim Gordon: Now, take this new guy. Armed robbery, double homicide. Got a taste for the theatrical. Like you. Leaves a calling card. [hands Batman a Joker playing card]
Batman: I'll look into it.
Perfectly sets up the Dark Knight and is freakin' cool!

The Empire Strikes Back
The original dark ending. Luke finds out his greatest foe is his father, Han's frozen in carbonite, and man, Luke lost his hand! Everything goes to hell for the rebellion in this movie and it is glorious.

How about you, the people who don't read this? What are some of your favorite movie endings? Comments section!

No comments: